Healthcare Supply Chain
a shifting landscape shaped by innovation, efficiency and cost savings
Ordering medications. Tracking changes to treatment strategies. Ensuring that critical supplies and medical devices are readily available for surgeries. Having systems in alignment. Having complete, real-time visibility to inventory.
These are among the many things that have to be in alignment in the healthcare field. After all, no patient can—or should have to—tolerate a supply chain breakdown.
The healthcare industry is undergoing major changes in all areas, from R&D practices to how products are stored and distributed, to the manufacturer-wholesaler relationship, to how hospitals and chain pharmacies get their pharmaceuticals.
Consider what’s going on in the industry today:
- Some branded pharmaceuticals are making OTC conversions.
- Hospitals prefer an “on-demand” system of finished goods over inventorying these items.
- Fewer new products are being approved by the FDA.
- There is a focus in R&D on biologics (specialty pharmaceuticals that are difficult to handle and require greater control at the end of the supply chain) over solid-dose medicines.
- The industry, overall, is moving toward outcome-based compensation models.
All of these factors add up to a landscape which will be shaped by innovation, efficiency and cost savings.
In the healthcare industry, perhaps more than any other, the outcomes of logistics decisions influence performance several ways. Logistical hurdles are but one of many difficult challenges healthcare manufacturers face every day.
Long-term market forces and commercial trends are challenging manufacturers to get closer to their end customers, requiring new channels for new distribution models.
GENCO, the leader in Product Lifecycle Logistics®, connects manufacturers and their end customers in closed-looped supply chains.
GENCO has been a leader in healthcare logistics for more than 20 years, executing reliably under the most-demanding quality and regulatory pressures. We provide logistics support to more than 75 clients in the pharmaceutical, OTC, medical device and retail market segments.
GENCO manages the supply chains for many of the top medical device manufacturers, handling consumables, implants, instruments and capital goods in warehouses across the United States and Canada.
In addition, GENCO brings extensive experience in healthcare reverse logistics deployments in B2B and B2C environments, meeting the logistics needs of chain pharmacies and healthcare recall management programs.
When it comes to handling pharmaceuticals and medical devices, there is little margin for error. GENCO has the knowledge, experience and systems to meet your exacting standards, and those of the FDA, DEA, VAWD and other regulatory agencies.
We use a variety of measures to remain current on licensure requirements, including a corporate legal department available to conduct research into statutes and rules; active memberships in organizations such as HDMA and NACDS to stay up to date on emerging regulatory trends; and interactive relationships with colleagues in the regulated industry with whom we can communicate on regulatory matters of common interest.
Our healthcare operations combine innovation; best-of-breed warehouse management solutions, with validated RedPrairie® and Manhattan deployments; and a continuous improvement methodology that consistently leads to cost takeouts, efficiencies and improved productivity.
Our end-to-end services include pick/pack/ship, transportation management, reverse logistics, business analytics and final-mile fulfillment.
Our Healthcare Logistics solutions include:
- Pharmaceutical Logistics - Warehousing and distribution of pharmaceuticals
- Medical Device Logistics - Warehousing and distribution of medical devices
- Pharmaceutical Returns - Comprehensive solution for processing and disposal of expired products
- Recall Management - Single-source solution for management of recalls, withdrawals and market actions